We are happy to take referrals for
- general child and adolescent psychiatric issues (including concerns about depression, anxiety, emotional and behavioural problems, Autistic Spectrum Condition, ADHD and autism) for children and young people aged 0 to 18 years.
- young adults (to the age of 25) with emotional difficulties or who cannot access on going treatment services when they have been prescribed medication for ADHD during childhood.
- parents where there are difficulties in the perinatal period (during pregnancy and up to the babybeing aged 1 year) arising from mood disturbance and, or, problems with the baby.
- preschool children where there are concerns about behaviour or emotional wellbeing.
- second opinions.
- horse assisted therapy and team building.
- family court assessments.
- court assessments of capacity and ability to consent.
Who we are
Dr Shirley Gracias MBChB DCH FRCPsych, Psychiatrist
Shirley is a Fellow of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, specialising in Infant Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. She has over 25 years experience as a Consultant both in the NHS and the independent sector.
Having qualified in medicine from Bristol University in 1983 Shirley specialised in
psychiatry from 1985. Between 1993 & 1995 Shirley was a Consultant in the Cardiff area, after which she moved to Wiltshire where she worked in CAMHS until 2010. Owing to a lack of provision for very young children and their families, Shirley left the NHS and now works in the independent and charitable sectors providing mental health services with an ethos of prevention, early intervention and holistic care.
While Shirley’s passion is in preventative psychiatry she has a wealth of experience working with children
and young people of all ages (up to 25 years) and their families. Her model of psychiatry is holistic and she
offers psychotherapeutic interventions as well as a traditional (medicines based) approach. These
- Watch Wait and Wonder;
- the Circle of Security Parenting Approach (COS-P);
- Brief Solutions Focussed Therapy; and
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT).
Shirley is also a Solutions Focus trained coach and Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Association (EAGALA) therapist /coach. She is currently training in nutrition for mental health and working on the development of a service.
In addition to her clinical work, Shirley has held national and international roles promoting Infant and Perinatal
Mental Health. She has been on the Executives for the Faculties of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry and Perinatal Psychiatry at the Royal College of Psychiatrists. In 2014 Shirley was awarded a Winston Churchill Memorial Trust Fellowship and travelled to the USA and Australia looking at early intervention in parenting for boys and men.
In April 2016 Shirley was commissioned to work on role development for members of the cast of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Her article Harry Potter, the boy protected by his mother’s love is now featured in the show programmes in London and New York. Shirley also co-wrote the programme notes for the 2016 London production of Tennessee Williams' play, The Glass Menagerie.
When not working Shirley is a glass artist. She also sings and dances.
Lucy Bateman - Administrator